Friday, January 30, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Just to warn you, there are no fancy pictures or super exciting stories in this post. Nope, just a few simple pleasures we have begun to take full advantage of this past week in London.

My biggest "simple pleasure" discovery has been walking to Starbucks while Jordan is at school, getting a caramel macchiato (since they don't have my favorite drink, the cinnamon dulce latte), and reading. Yep, you heard me: reading at Starbucks. Okay fine, every so often there is some type of pastry involved. :) It sounds silly, but I never have the time (or take the time) to do this at home, and I have loved every minute of not having other obligations to think about other than my coffee and my book. The best part is, somehow, miraculously, Jordan actually is enjoying this as well when he joins me! Maybe the fact that we had to unplug our T.V. after realizing that we were watching it "illegally" has something to do with it... Seriously though, we have been book-shopping lately, and it's been a great change from plopping down in front of the T.V. at night.

Our next newfound love has been seeking out hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and we've found some great ones this week. There are so many different types of food here that are actually authentic. So rather than getting Chinese food from a place like P.F. Chang's, you are getting the real deal and being served by the cutest Chinese people who hardly speak any English (Don't get me wrong, I love P.F. Chang's, it's just a whole different experience.) And not to mention, most of these places we've found have literally been a hole in the wall, and small holes at that! :) It's definitely a different dining experience to eat at a restaurant with 5 tables than it is to eat at one with 50.

We seemed to have started a Friday morning tradition of sleeping in (since Jordan doesn't have class on Fridays), and Jordan making pancakes with bananas and Nutella. He knows the way right to my heart! 

He looks like a pro, huh?! It's actually pretty funny to see him cooking in our TINY little kitchen, but the end result is AWESOME. 

Sorry, I just had to do the close-up shot. :) Could it get any better than this?! The answer is "no." 

So next time you go to the grocery store, track down some Nutella, bananas, and pancake mix and enjoy this simple pleasure... I promise it's worth it! Jordan's mom, Brenda, actually makes the most amazing Swedish pancakes for Christmas, and I told him that I am going to introduce the family to Nutella next year as an addition. :)

On another note, we found out in the middle of this week that the Manchester United soccer game that we had tickets to actually got moved up to Saturday (it was supposed to be on Monday.) We did some scrambling, and managed to change our train tickets and our hotel reservation... so we are headed to Manchester TOMORROW!!! We are both so excited, Jordan's actually worried he won't be able to sleep tonight. :) I promise our next post will have plenty of details and pictures, and maybe even a video of the big game! We get back Sunday evening, in plenty of time to watch the Super Bowl; which, by the way, starts at 11:30pm here with the time difference. It's going to be a sports-filled weekend, and our first trip out of London!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats too funny...I do the same thing here in PV! Starbucks and a book are pretty much amazing and I love that its the same in classy, European, London as it is here in crazy, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Some simple pleasures know no boundaries :D Cant wait to hear about the game- Jons pretty pumped for you guys too!!
Carly

jonesfamily said...

That sounds so nice...starbucks and a book is of the things I talk about loving but never actually do...Live it up. I am jealous! And the banana nutella pancakes! When we went to Germany I also fell in love with Nutella but have since forgotten it...thank you for the inspiration! It sounds like you guys are having a great time there. I am so glad for you guys and I am excited to hear about the game!

Julie

mmsnyder said...

So it is Saturday morning at we just happen to have pancake mix, bananas, and.... nutella! I might be waking Chris up to make it (because I struggle with cooking pancakes...) right after I submit my commet ;) It looks AMAZING!

Have a blast at the game... can't wait to hear about it!!

Love you guys!
Meg and Chris

Pat and Patty said...

I'm soooo glad you can enjoy the simple pleasues...never stop!
Mom
xoxoxo...

Darcy said...

Ever since I read this post I have been thinking about bannana and nutello pancakes so as I write aaron is in the kitchen making them for the fam for breakfast! Yeah! I hope you had a fabulous time at the game! Thought of you tons this weekend on such a fun adventure. You know how jealous I am of starbucks and reading. . maybe someday. . .
love you!
Darcy

Anonymous said...

I love it...I seriously missing reading for pleasure. If you need any god book recommendations let me know cause I've read some great one's lately. And thanks for the birthday wishes. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet...my two musts for europe are switzerland (soooo beautiful...but a little expensive, might want to check the exchange rate) and the Cinque Terre. It's these 5 quant little towns carved into the oceaside that you can take this trail and walk between (takes about a whole day if you stop and play in the little towns) but look it up on the internet cause it is beautiful. I love the blog and hearing about your adventures.

Hope you are loving them too!!

Katy

Lindsay Murphy said...

Thank God for nutella! I can't wait to consume it everyday...this is my goal for the trip:) Hope you had a blast at the game. The Superbowl was amazing. I hope you got to watch it!! Reece has been asking me about you lately and wondering when he can Skype with you next?:) LOVE YOU!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...