Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pub Grub



We had our first Fish & Chips meal at a pub yesterday, which I think is almost a right of passage in London. :) And we were both pleasantly surprised - it was pretty good! Everyone kept telling us how awful the food was in London, but we have yet to eat a bad meal. Even though I've been here before, I don't think Jordan really trusted my judgement since I love food. In general. All of it. Especially if someone else makes it for me! :) We have heard though that London has upped its food standards in the last few years, so I guess that's in our favor as well.

Side note: Jordan was thrilled about me taking a picture of him with his fish & chips in a pub. We don't look like tourists, right?!

Jordan started school on Monday, and likes all of his classes so far. Well... except for one class that he has AT LEAST 100 pages of reading assigned for each class meeting (which is twice a week.) Ugh! They do have high expectations for the students, of course, but all of the professors understand that 95% of what they'll take away from this program is the cultural experience, not the classroom experience. 

We saw our first theater performance on Sunday, called Stomp. Again, no pictures allowed. I saw Stomp when I was here before, but I am trying to pick and choose what plays Jordan will actually enjoy... he doesn't enjoy the theater scene quite as much as I do. Yet! :) But guess what?! He actually REALLY liked it!! It's pretty hard not to. The performance consists of no spoken words, only the performers dancing and making music from things like garbage cans, sinks, bags, trash, etc. There are really no words to describe how surprisingly amazing and entertaining it really is. We kept saying how Josiah, Jordan's brother, would have absolutely loved it! :) When we were walking home after the play, we walked by a pub and were shocked to see it completely FULL, like standing-room-only full. This is about 4:45 pm on a Sunday. My first thought was, "Oh my gosh, these people over here sure like to drink!" Little did we know, Chelsea was playing Manchester United in soccer, which is basically the equivalent to the Super Bowl over here... maybe even bigger. I'm not exaggerating, every single pub on our walk home was just as crowded! We went in one for a while and watched, but the game was almost over. Needless to say, we are excited to stake out a spot for the next big game!

This week has been an interesting transition. I think it finally hit us that we are actually living here, which means everyday life here - grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, down time. It's been frustrating because I'm still trying to track down one of my textbooks for my online class, something you'd never think you'd be doing in London! Once that starts, it will occupy a lot of my time while Jordan is at school. Also... this is going to be a laugh to most of you who know me well... we joined the gym at Jordan's school. So between working out and studying, our days are getting more and more full. We are trying to save our bigger adventures for the weekends. There is so much to see, but we are trying to spread it out a little bit since we have such a long time to see it all! 

I had to post this picture because Jordan's uncle, Joel, who has been to London, gave us a mission to try and find actual, thick milkshakes. He said when he was here, the only "milkshakes" he could find were basically frothy milk. Well, last week we were in the Camden Market and we came across this sign, and I couldn't resist posting it. :) Granted, we didn't try them, but judging by the sign, I think we found a winner!



P.S. We actually booked our first trip out of London! We are going to Paris March 13 - 15... we are SO EXCITED! 

6 comments:

Pat and Patty said...

Day to day will get you setteled in faster.
Great post as always...great way to start the day.
First pkg on it's way - so remember the 13th and see how long it takes, they say 10-14 days.
xoxoxo...
Mom

Unknown said...

The two of you better become Man U fans or my heart will be broken. We have the flight all in order and will be seeing your pretty faces come spring break... get ready to play tourist with us ;) I hope this finds you two of you well.

Peace and much love to all,
Dietzel

McMurrays said...

Aaron would be so pumped if you came back socce fans! I love the show Stomp. . of course so in in Spokane prob. a little different.
Miss you!

angieflorence said...

Yeah for fish and chips! I told you it was delicious. Add a class of hard cider and nothing could be better! Stomp sounds awesome! I am glad you joined the gym also. Way to go Whit! Hope that book arrives soon! Love the posts and p.s. you should make another trip to Spain with us!!! Excited to see you in March!
Ang

mmsnyder said...

Chris was a little jealous you guys got to watch that soccer game at a pub over there :) How fun!

Nice job on joining the gym... but honestly (to quote your mother...) "EAT A SANDWICH" or 8. :) love you guys!

Lindsay Murphy said...

Wow...working out huh? What is that again? I'm very proud of you! Paris in March...you have such a rough life:) LOVE YOU & MISS YOU! The Bagel told me to send a few licks your way :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...