Thursday, March 11, 2010

Time Well Wasted

I know I shouldn't be complaining, but I am just flat-out tired.

Because of the wedding shoot in Seattle this last weekend plus having to work straight through my days off the weekend before that, I really haven't had a full day off in 3 weeks. And not to mention having Jordan gone for the last 5 days in Las Vegas... you don't realize how much you're used to having someone there to split up life's responsibilities and day-to-day stuff with until they're gone.

Side note: I survived the wedding shoot and Jordan survived Las Vegas. As much fun as the wedding was, I'm pretty sure I got the short end of the stick. ;)

With that said, I have one million things on my to-do list that I just haven't had time to do in the last three weeks -- edit hundreds of pictures, clean my house, reorganize my life...

But oddly, all I wanna do is bake. And this cold, nasty weather isn't helping one bit.

In the last few days, I've baked Coffee Toffee Bars and Baked Apple Crisp, the latter of which was the perfect comfort food cure. I love trying new recipes (more so with baking than cooking, but I'm getting better about that.) So in the spirit of "time well wasted" instead of "time well spent," here is the super easy and really yummy recipe for the Baked Apple Crisp I made last night:

Ingredients:
- 4 tart apples (cleaned, paired, and sliced)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon, so I used more!)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)

Directions:
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- put apple slices in 8x8 casserole/baking dish
- mix flower, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon
- cut in egg until crumbles begin to form with mixture
- sprinkle crumbles over apples
- melt butter and pour evenly over crumbles
- bake for 40 to 45 minutes

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I did just remember all that from memory. :) And it is HEAVENLY! Although, I would recommend serving it with vanilla ice cream -- I'm actually heading directly to the store after work to get some.

Please leave a comment and share if you have any yummy baking recipes that sound good to you at the moment! :)

On that note, with one million things to do and all, I get off work in 4 minutes to begin my first weekend off in a while. And I'm thinking margaritas and hot tubbing followed by a little Apple Crisp will probably trump spending my time wisely...

3 comments:

Pat and Patty said...

Raspberry Cougar Gold Bars
1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cup shredded Cougar Gold or sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup raspberry jam
Chop hazelnuts and reserve for later. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese (this may all be done in a food processor). Set aside 3/4 cup of this mixture.
Press remaining mixture in bottom of ungreased 8 inch square pan. Spread jam evenly over crust. Sprinkle with hazelnuts, pressing in gently. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and pat gently. Bake at 350ยบ for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator. Makes about 16 bars.

YOU HAVE TO USE COUGAR GOLD CHEESE!!!
You are a funny kid :) enjoy!
Love
Mom

McMurrays said...

i love that you bake now. . for some reason it just makes me smile!

Unknown said...

Whitney... this is an AMAZING recipe. I don't know if it's the cinnamon and sugar, or the fabulous amount of butter. Probably both. :) Hope all is well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...