Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Valentine

It's Valentine's Day (although the date of this post might not reflect that, it really is.) I started writing this post on Thursday, which tells you how my weekend has gone.

It's really February 14th, which means a lot of different things to people. To me, it just serves as a reminder to be thankful for the love I have from my husband and so many other people.

I really am. Thankful, that is. Even if I have to constantly remind myself of that when I find everything to complain about. Which has been way too much lately. I'm a pessimist by nature and as much as I hate it sometimes and try to change it, I just am. It has been so much easier lately for me to find things to be upset about, or worry about, or complain about... it's ugly. And it never ceases to bring tears to my eyes when I am forced to stop and think about how lucky I really am in this life. Sometimes the reminder comes in the form of a song on the radio, sometimes it's hearing a story from a friend whose life contains much more worry and stress than mine ever thought of having. Or other times it's just plain silence, which I am convinced is God's way of making me think of how unappreciative I have been. And just so you know, I always picture God as a parent figure, putting me in a corner and saying, "Now you sit here by yourself in silence and think about what you've done!" Only, in this case he's saying, "Think about all I've given you."

I saw this on one of the blogs I follow, and without fail, my cynicism initially got the best of me. But then I read it again, and it is so refreshing and so true. So in a way, this is what I am focusing on today:

"I am thankful...

For the wife who says 'It's hot dogs tonight'
Because she is home with me
and not out with someone else

For the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato
Because he is home with me
and not out at the bars

For the taxes I pay
Because it means I am employed

For the mess to clean after a party
Because it means I have been surrounded by friends

For the clothes that fit a little too snug
Because it means I have enough to eat

For my shadow that watches me work
Because it means I am out in the sunshine

For a lawn that needs mowing,
windows that need cleaning,
and gutters that need fixing
Because it means I have a home

For all the complaining I hear about the government
Because it means we have freedom of speech

For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
Because it means I am capable of walking
and I have been blessed with transportation

For my huge heating bill
Because it means I am warm

For the lady behind me in church who sings off-key
Because it means I can hear

For the pile of laundry and ironing
Because it means I have clothes to wear

For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
Because it means I have been capable of working hard

For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours
Because it means I am alive

I am thankful."


With that said, I am thankful for my amazing husband, my forever Valentine. The one and only Jordan Tampien. :) I wanted to try out a few new picture spots and camera techniques, and he willingly came with me as my model. Don't feel too sorry for him because I think he secretly liked it. :) So in the spirit of Valentine's Day, here is my fun, sexy, smart, thoughtful husband...

Just as a side note for you photogs out there, I am an idiot! My ISO was jacked way up and I didn't even realize it until I got home. I almost tried to play it off and say I wanted a cool grainy film effect, but I figured I'd better admit my mistake instead. :)





I've really been wanting to try out some funky reflection pics and it had just rained, so there are a few that I think turned out pretty cool...











Smokin' hot, huh?! :)

If you've made it this far, thanks for baring with my random post. Sometimes it's nice to get my thoughts out in the blog world, even if my Mom is the only one reading them. ;)

Happy LOVE Day!

8 comments:

Pat and Patty said...

And I am thankful for you - You amaze me
Mom

Lindsay Murphy said...

Ummm...I read all of them too! Love you so much. Happy Valentines day to my favorite sister:) xoxo

mmsnyder said...

love the pictures! love you!

Nicole said...

Ummm... I'm proud to say that I'm not related to you, and I still read all your blogs! :) Love the pics!

McMurrays said...

I LOVE your blog and always read it! You are so thoughtful and TALENTED!! Love you!
I am very thankful for you and Jordon! Love the reflections and would of never noticed the graininess b/c I am an idiot:)

Amy Hook said...

Wonderful pictures, Whit! I love them - and I appreciate the little poem you posted too. I think we all need reminders :).

Emilie said...

I love reading your thoughts and seeing all your pictures:) You're so talented! Keep it coming!

angieflorence said...

Great pics as usual. Where are they taken at? I loved that poem also- thanks for sharing. Always good to be humbled and thankful. Happy belated Valentine's! Can you believe 1 year ago you were in Europe at castle?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...