Sunday, August 2, 2009

H2O Mama

Every summer in Sandpoint, Idaho (where our lake cabin is), the Long Bridge Swim takes place, which is a 1.8 mile swim race. My mom has always had it on her bucket list to compete in the race, so she finally decided she was going to do it this year. She started training in the spring to get ready for it, and the race was on Saturday.

Did I mention it was a 1.8 mile swim?! Or that my mom has had one shoulder surgery recently, and is getting another one in September?!?

My mom is a STUD!!!

Look at all the people lining the bridge to watch! And look how long the bridge is... I guess that's why they call it the Long Bridge! :)

Before I go any further, I have to give credit to my cousin, Megan (check out her blog!), for all of these photos. I got really sick the morning of my mom's race -- I know, sign me up for the "Worst Daughter Ever" award -- so Megan used my camera and got some great shots of the race!

Here's my cute mom waiting in the water for the race to start.

And the race begins! I guess there were approximately 900 swimmers competing... talk about chaos in the water!

Look at her go! I seriously couldn't be more proud of her...

At the finish line... SHE DID IT!!! Way to go, mom! One more thing to check off your bucket list!

Megan and my mom have been training together because Megan is doing a triathlon in a couple of weeks. Jordan and I have snuck in the pool with them a few times too. :)

I did kind of redeem myself at the end... I had been throwing up all morning, and I was so upset that I didn't get to watch my mom race. So I pulled myself together, brought a puke bag, and had Jordan drop me off at the finish line -- I was determined to at least watch her finish! I don't know if it was because I was so upset with myself for being sick or just so proud of my mom, but I totally burst into tears the second I saw her.

In the picture below is Megan, Grandma Ha, my mom, me, and my aunt Penny. She had a lot of faithful fans watching her who weren't pictured here -- my dad, Jordan, Chris, my grandparents, and Julienne.

My mom was always at every single one of my volleyball games, softball games, track races, basketball games... you name it, she was there. I think her and my dad were always in a tie for my number one fan. :) It's funny feeling the roles reverse as I get older.

I am so proud of you, H2O Mama!!!

3 comments:

jonesfamily said...

That's impressive! Tell Patty I think she is amazing!

Julie

Pat and Patty said...

Thanks Whitney - I love you and will always be your #1 fan - you are one of my inspirations!!!
Love the post :)

mmsnyder said...

Way to be on top of the post, Whit!! :) Hope the 200+ pics I took turned out OK! Thanks for a great weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...