Thursday, September 16, 2010

Summer? What summer??

I feel like I've been posting more about other peoples' lives lately than our own, which is pretty much a direct correlation to how our summer has gone.

September always seems to mark the beginning of a new season and a new start. I can remember at almost every phase of life being asked the same question each September: "What did you do this summer?" Besides being able to reflect, I think everyone enjoys getting to brag about all the cool stuff they did over the summer. I know I do... usually.

I've been asked this simple question a few times already this month, but for the first time in my whole life I can't really figure out a good way to answer. And there's definitely not a whole lot to brag about or fun pictures (of us) to post on my Facebook page. Sure, I could say something like, I went to... uh, well... photographed a lot of weddings. Or, I went to the lake... three times. Or, I helped my parents remodel their rental house every day after work. Or I could just be that awkward, negative person who self-discloses way too much and complains about how busy I've been and how I'm not great at being a "busy person."

I'm not a huge fan of any of those answers. And I doubt whoever asked me would be either.

The more I thought about my answer, I didn't necessarily think about the things I did this summer (or didn't do for that matter); I thought about the things that got me through the summer. Here's a small list in no particular order, just to give you a glimpse...

1. My husband. I've said it time and again, but truly, Jordan gets the best and worst of me, and let's just say that not very many people would put up with my worst. It's not pretty.

2. Starbucks and Diet Coke. Enough said.

3. The property. This is a tough one because us purchasing the property is about 95% of the reason we've "decided" to be this busy, but at the same time, there is nothing more relaxing and rewarding than watching a sunset up there and being reminded why we're working so hard in the first place.

4. My amazing boss, who also happens to be my Dad. :) How many bosses let their employees edit pictures and email Flat 4 clients when it's a slow day at the office? I would be completely buried with photography and photo booth stuff if it wasn't for him being so flexible with me at work.

5. Gradual tanning lotion. Needless to say, I did not see the sun very often this summer. I can just about guarantee I was (and still am) the whitest person in Spokane.

6. My Mom. Next to Jordan, she got to hear the majority of my venting and meltdowns... again, not a fun job. And when I was about to sell Max, our crazy puppy, to the next stranger who walked by on our sidewalk, she always swooped in and dog-sat for us.

7. Dry Shampoo. If you knew how many times I went multiple days without showering, you probably wouldn't be friends with me anymore. But dry shampoo works MIRACLES, people! If you've never tried it, you should. Unless you're one of those people who keeps up their personal hygiene on a daily basis...

I know seven is a weird number to end on. Oh well. The good news (and don't hate me for saying this) is that summer is OVER and we are nearing a light at the end of the tunnel of this crazy, busy phase of life in the Tampien household! Is it November yet?!

Maybe next summer I will post dozens of pictures of us at the lake or on a great summer vacation somewhere. Or just ANY pictures of us for that matter. :)

2 comments:

Pat and Patty said...

I love you for being real and for keeping Max!
Mom

Lindsay Murphy said...

I love you for not showering and for your love of Dry Shampoo. You had a remarkable summer...just hard to see through the haze right now. Welcome to your first wedding season...I wish I could say it gets easier:) Love you so much and couldn't be more proud!!! See you tomorrow night...I mean, it's only been 7 years:) LOVES!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...