Friday, July 10, 2009

European Date Night & Smoke Alarms

I realize most married women probably say this and so it doesn't carry much weight, but I really do have the best husband ever. 

I have had a rough couple of weeks, and quite honestly, I still don't feel like I've made a very smooth transition since we got back from London. I know it has almost been two months, but for some reason I just haven't quite been myself since we've been back.

I was getting ready for work yesterday morning and I found the sweetest card ever from Jordan. Without divulging too much and embarrassing him, I'll just share one line that he wrote to give you the gist of his plan:

"Tonight is all about you and I relaxing and slowing down like we were back in our flat in London without a care in the world."

I always read cards twice, and I cried. Both times. 

So I walk in the door when I got home from work, and there was this awesome appetizer display on our coffee table. One of our favorite discoveries in Europe was gourmet cheeses dipped in honey, so he recreated that and picked out different specialty cheeses for us to share with honey, crackers, and some wine before dinner.

Maggie always seems to find her way into every picture... :)

Next, on to the main course...

We both absolutely loved the Mediterranean food when we were in Italy, but I never got to have my favorite seafood, lobster, while we were there. So for the main course Jordan cooked asparagus, cheese risotto, and LOBSTER!!! Can you believe it?! I would have never guessed he would cook lobster in a hundred years!

I'm not just saying this to be nice (those of you who really know me know I don't do that!), but the lobster was absolutely delicious! And it looked so gourmet -- nice job, babe!

We decided to go on a walk around the park near our house to let our stomachs settle, and then came back and Jordan fixed up dessert -- banana and Nutella crepes!! Another one of our favorites from Europe. They were to die for, and needless to say, they were all gone before I could get any pictures. :)

As if the whole night wasn't amazing enough, Jord gave me a legitimate, full body massage. Don't worry, this is a PG story, I promise. Well, maybe PG-13. :) He covered all the windows in our room with blankets to make it dark, and then lit like 50 candles in our room before he would let me come in. It was so beautiful and romantic, and totally relaxing...

Just when I started to get cocky and think to myself, "Wow, we are totally starring in a romantic music video right now," the smoke alarms started going off! And let me tell you, not very many things in our house are top of the line, but I think we might have THE LOUDEST smoke alarms in the history of the world! And we could not get them to stop for the life of us -- I'm practically naked running through the house trying to find a broom, Jordan is frantically trying to tear the whole alarm apart, Maggie is looking at us like we're idiots -- it was a total circus! We finally got it to stop, looked at each other, and busted up laughing. 

It kind of made me stop and realize that the imperfections of our life together are sometimes what makes it fun and real... and perfect in its own way. 

6 comments:

Emilie said...

Wow! You really might have the best husband in the world. Your evening sounds amazing. I'm so impressed with his cooking skills; however, the smoke detector part is my favorite...its the little things when you get to laugh together that I love!

Pat and Patty said...

Loves, this is why we let him marry you and these are the moments to treasure the most...although I'm very glad the fire dept. did not have to be called - You might have been an intersting interview on TV with just mask on...
Hugs (and thank you Jordan for being the best son ever!)
Mom

McMurrays said...

way to go jords! love this story! We knew he was a good one the first night we met him!

Amy Hook said...

Wow, Whitney, I am very impressed w/ your husband! I almost had Jonathan read it just to spark some ideas - mostly joking :)- Jonathan is wonderful...I'm just impressed w/ the seriously thoughtful preparation. Way to go, Jordan! The fire alarm part only adds to it all. I agree w/ you; it almost makes it more perfect because it's real life.

jonesfamily said...

i love the whole story!

julie

JeffandKatyRiddell said...

Way to go Jordan!!! I hope you are feeling better Whit...it was great to catch up with you the other week...and i LOVE that we still do our "cow" thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...