Saturday, February 28, 2009

Notting Hill

We spent the afternoon in Notting Hill yesterday. No, we did not see Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant, or "the blue door" from the movie. :) To be honest, we didn't even look. It was 55 degrees and sunny, and wandering around the famous Portobello Market was more than enough to keep us happy! For the first time since we've been here, it actually felt like spring. Notting Hill is everything you'd picture it to be -- quaint, cute, and VERY colorful!

The market itself is best known for its antiques, but since we went on Friday instead of Saturday or Sunday it was more of a variety (and much less crowded!) We saw this cool old car on our way to the market, near where George Orwell used to live. 

There was everything from clothes to jewelry to trinkets in the market... and food, of course...

This store caught Jordan's eye -- antique sporting equipment. :) He's such a BOY. 

I managed to get one picture of the jewelry before I was "politely asked" to not take pictures from the booth owner. It was pretty funny actually, you would have thought I was ripping the pearls off his necklaces or something -- "No. NO!! No pictures of jewelry!" 

There were booths set up all over the place. The street market was about a half mile long!

The permanent shops in Notting Hill are also a lot of fun, and they all have so much character. Most of them are painted in really bright, random colors and have a vintage feel to them.



We found a cute little Thai place to eat lunch, and then decided we'd each get to pick out a treat to share for dessert. Well, I got lured in by a little gourmet cupcake bakery... duh. This was the view from the window. Seriously?! Is that even fair to have that in the window?

It doesn't look like much, but seriously, it was the BEST cupcake I've ever had. It was called the "dark bottom cupcake." 

Jordan found a crepe stand, and ended up getting a banana and Nutella crepe -- it was HUGE, and yes, he shared. :) I think bananas and Nutella are becoming a theme in our life...

We were walking back to catch the tube home and we saw this car parked, and died laughing. I guess this is one alternative to parallel parking?! :)

We are really starting to love all the different markets over here! It is so fun to walk through and peruse all the different booths, and more so to see the different sides of London since all the markets are so uniquely different from each other and scattered throughout different areas of the city. We're thinking we might hit up the Camden Town Market next weekend... I'll keep you posted!

I took this last photo when we were getting on the tube leaving Notting Hill. I love how it shows the busy and fast-paced London life! 

By the way, we got home and proceeded to rent the movie Notting Hill from my computer since Jordan had never seen it! :) 


P.S. If you want to see all our pictures from Notting Hill, click here

6 comments:

Take That said...

Whitney/Jordan - I'm not usually a blog browser but I ran across your adventures in London and am a HUGE fan of your pictures. Solid. You definitely inspire Amy and I in someday making the trek you're currently on.

Emilie said...

Hey guys! As always, I love the pictures. Notting Hill is one of my favorite movies, so it was so fun to read your post!

mmsnyder said...

Love the pics again Whit!!! And- of course- love the cupcake picture as well! :)

I'm surprised 3 other people commented before your mom- OH WAIT- her day consisted of helping my mom and I on her computer ALL DAY. She is a saint... has anyone else told you that?!

love you guys! tell jordan hi!

Pat and Patty said...

Dear Meg, I waited to comment this time - since I am the blog stocker, I look a bit obsessive and since I want them to come home, thought it would look better to back off just once ;) - I digress/fabulous photos AGAIN!
Thanks for the update it looks springy there, can't wait for it to hit here - glad you didn't get thrown out of th market since I'm sure you will be making copies of those necklaces (?) The car shot was classic.
I love you both
Your stalking mother (in-law)
xoxoxoxo...

Darcy said...

Will you please make it a goal to have a dessert picture in every post! Love you. . Notting Hill . . Live the dream!
Darcy

Nicole said...

Cupcake or crepe?? That's not a fair decision!! I pick both. I love all the pictures. Maybe you should just travel the world and photograph it :) There! I just figured out what you are going to do when you grow up. Loves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...