Sunday, May 10, 2009

Romeo & Juliet, Abbey Road, and May flowers

The last couple weeks have flown by! Jordan finished his internship on Friday, and is officially done with his law program here in London. I'm not sure who is more excited about that, him or me. :) I managed to stay somewhat busy while he was working, but wandering around London is not nearly as fun by yourself! Here are a few highlights of what we've been doing the last couple weeks...

Something I have always wanted to do is to see a play in Shakespeare's Globe Theater. The play season for the Globe starts in May because it is an open air theater, so Jordan booked us tickets to go see Romeo & Juliet. The original Globe Theater burned to the ground in the great London fire in 1666, but they rebuilt it as exact as possible to the original theater, and they still perform all the authentic Shakespeare plays like they did during Shakespeare's time. 

I totally forgot to take a picture of the outside of the Globe Theater, so I kinda "borrowed" this one from the internet so you could see what it looks like. :)

Jordan surprised me and got us AMAZING seats right in the front row of the second level! We had the best view, and it was so incredible to watch Romeo & Juliet just how Shakespeare wrote it and intended it to be watched in his theater!

I was trying to give you an idea of how good our seats were -- you can see the back of Jordan's head in this picture. You'll also notice a ton of people standing on the ground. They sell standing tickets for really cheap, just like they did when Shakespeare was alive! We were both so impressed with how authentic the whole experience was, and how neat it was to watch a play in an open air theater under the stars.

We weren't able to take pictures during the play, but a few of the actors came out beforehand, so I was able to get this shot. 

The next thing to cross of our list was to check out Abbey Road, which probably means nothing to you if you're not a Beatles fan. :) I was raised on the Beatles, and they are one of my all-time favorites, so I was determined to head down there and get some pictures. Jordan wasn't quite as excited as I was, but he was a trooper, nonetheless... :)

I had seen an amazing print for sale in Notting Hill of a totally graffitied Abbey Road street sign, and I was determined to find it and take my own picture. So Jordan and I walked up and down the ENTIRE road, and were a little discouraged when we couldn't find it anywhere. There was an old man who asked us if we needed help, and we told him what we were looking for, and he told us that people steel the Abbey Road signs so often that it probably just wasn't there anymore. Oh well. The picture above wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it will do. :)

We still were able to get some pics of the famous crosswalk that the Beatles walked across for the cover of the Abbey Road album. :) Yep, that's me, walking across it! I'm such a tourist...

We have been spending a lot more time in London's beautiful parks now that the weather is pretty nice. And by "pretty nice" I mean "not raining." It has turned into a great way to spend an afternoon (and not to mention, a cheap thing to do in London) to grab some sandwiches, and head out to the park with our books and our camera.

One of our favorite parks is Regent's Park, which is absolutely gigantic! It has a ton of gorgeous flower gardens, and somehow I managed to get way too many pictures... I think I was just a little over-anxious for spring! :)






So there you have it! I am FINALLY all caught up on the blog!! I do realize I am the only one excited about this, don't worry.

Jordan and I leave for our last trip while we're here tomorrow morning, and we are SO EXCITED!! We will be in Italy until Friday -- we fly into Pisa and will spend a couple hours there, then we head to Cinque Terre for a couple days, and finally we spend a couple days in Florence before we fly back to London. I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to post when we get back! :)

6 comments:

mmsnyder said...

How cool to see Romeo and Juliet in Shakespeare's Globe Theater... your pics of it are great! Loved the Abbey Road pics and story as well :) Enjoy your last trip before you head home! Can't wait to hear about Cinque Terre... Ive heard its amazing!

T said...

i love cinque terre, its my favorite place on earth! I cant wait to see the pics you take there and hear what you think of it! Have fun during your last couple weeks :)

McMurrays said...

I want you to come now!

JeffandKatyRiddell said...

Ahhh...I'm so excite you are going to the Cinque Terre...can't wait to hear about it!

Pat and Patty said...

These flower shots are amazing :)
Have a fabulous Trip - Can't wait for next week!!!
I can hardly sleep ;)
Hugs
Mom

Lindsay Murphy said...

Love your Abbey Road shots...you know I would have been on that cross-walk too:) Hope you are having an amazing time in Italy. I can't believe you are back there again. So jealous. MISS YOU! Only 7 more days!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...