Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Golf, Rain, and Date Night

Leave it to Jordan to find a driving range in London, where 99.9% of the population plays soccer. He has been dying to hit some golf balls and "shake off the rust" from his golf game before his big debut at St. Andrews. :)

Yes, I was the nerdy wife taking pictures and reading my book at a driving range. Don't judge me!


Obviously it's not really "golf season" yet, so there weren't very many golfers lining up to hit balls at the range. I was a little bummed because we saw this "Guinness Time" bell on the wall (and yes, thought it was hilarious), but I wanted to see if someone actually rang it and ordered everyone a Guinness or something. Yeah... that never happened. 

But come on, let's be honest, what kind of "sport" has a Guinness Time bell to ring so everyone can break for a beer? No, not a timeout, a BEER. I guess this goes to show that I still don't really understand golf.

We did end up going to the Camden Town Market on Sunday, and it was really cool and much different from the other markets we've been to so far. It's more focused on funky clothes and unique apparel, and then it has a huge stretch of ethnic food booths. Yes, there were crepes involved, but no, we didn't get pictures because it started to rain. And then it started to pour. Downpour, actually. So we of course head towards the tube station (with the thousands of other people in the market), and get to the entrance and it was CLOSED. Yes, this was the same tube station we used not even a couple hours before. Don't ask me how or why it was closed because I have no idea. 

I guess Murphy's Law still applies to me even though my last name is now Tampien...

Anyway, we finally tracked down a bus that would take us somewhat close to our flat -- the bus routes over here are pretty confusing, especially because we haven't used them very often. Unfortunately, we got dropped off about 1/4 mile away from home... you can probably picture what happened next. Yep, we were running through the streets of London getting soaked! And there might have been a few choice words uttered along the way. I am talking torrential, sideways rain, and you can probably guess that I am not a very fast runner anymore. :)

We made it home, thank God, and were literally SOAKED to the bone. I have no idea why I'm smiling in this picture.
 
You probably can't tell from the pictures just how wet we were, but believe me, we both could have wrung out our jeans and coats.

It has been raining off and on here all week, but we know we can't really complain since everyone back home in Spokane is getting SNOW! Yuck!!! I'd much rather have rain than snow in March. Sorry guys... :)

Last night we decided to have a date night together since we've pretty much been holed up in our flat most of the week doing homework. We went to dinner, then somehow managed to get three desserts on our way to buy tickets to see the play Dirty Dancing. Yes, it's the same Dirty Dancing as the movie with Patrick Swayze. And yes, I did say three desserts. :) We both ended up loving the show -- which, if you've been keeping track, is 3 out of 3 so far for plays that Jordan has liked. :)

The rest of our week is going to be pretty crazy... 

Tonight we got invited to dinner with one of Jordan's professors from Pace University back in New York and his wife, and the other married couple in Jordan's class. They are ALL lawyers (or future lawyers) except for me. Yikes! 

Tomorrow I have my interview for the Masters in Teaching program at Gonzaga... on Skype video conference! Wish me luck, more so that we won't lose our connection online or anything. That would be an absolute nightmare! And we also have to pack tomorrow because WE LEAVE FOR PARIS ON FRIDAY MORNING!!! We are so excited for our weekend getaway in Paris! We get back Sunday night, and we'll actually meet Kelli, one of my good friends, at the airport that night because she's visiting us for a week. So much to look forward to! :)

6 comments:

Pat and Patty said...

Hey, Hey! Loved the drowned rat look ;) Looks like you recovered for the play! Glad to see Jord swinging away.
Have a fabulous trip to Paris, can't wait to hear Jordan's thoughts on his first impressions of the Mona Lisa etc....
Love
Mom
xoxoxo....

mmsnyder said...

Cool pics of Jordan swinging... and loved the guiness bell! :) How fun to go to the Dirty Dancing play!! And I also loved the soaking wet pics! Have so much fun in PARIS! Can't wait to see more pics. GOOD LUCK AT (on, with?? need your help with the word choice...) YOUR INTERVIEW! Switching to GU? Or maybe that was your plan all along? Good luck!!

PS- we need to find a time to skype!! maybe next week?

jonesfamily said...

Thanks for doing such a great job of keeping the blog updated. I'm really impressed! You guys look like you are really ejoying London. I love it and hate it when you update the blog. I love it because it is so fun to see what you guys are doing and yet I hate it because I am so jealous!!! And everytime I read an update, I instantly want to eat some sort of dessert. But I will say, I am excited to sit with you at Didier's and enjoy a nice Didier's cheeseburger when you get back! Keep enjoying yourself!!!

Julie

Lindsay Murphy said...

Yay for Paris, 3 desserts, Dirty Dancing and date night! Boooo for rain:( I can't wait to hear what Jordy things of Paris...I think he's going to love it. MISS YOU!

McMurrays said...

Dirty Dancing and three desserts. . ummmm yeah I am positive that is what Heaven is!!!! Dirty Dancing is my all time favorite movie. . don't tell anyone!
Love you and have a blast in Paris!
Darcy

angieflorence said...

everything sounds great! jealous of the desserts and of dirty dancing. can't wait to come!! hope Paris is fabulous!! Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...